Building Blocks Cakes
Prep Time : 35 Minutes
Total Time : 4 Hours 10 Minutes
Servings : 12
Building a birthday cake is fun and easy thanks to cake mix, ready-to-spread frosting and marshmallows.
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® yellow cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- 2 containers Betty Crocker® vanilla frosting
- Red, yellow and blue gel food colors
- Tray or cardboard (38x30 cm), covered with wrapping paper and plastic food wrap or foil
- 12 large marshmallows, cut in half crosswise
- Heat oven to 180°C (170°C for dark or nonstick pan). Grease or spray bottom and sides of 33x23cm pan.
- Make and bake cake mix as directed on the box for 33x23cm pan. Cool in pan for 10 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Refrigerate or freeze cake for 1 hour or until firm.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl for each color, tint 225 grams frosting red, 225 grams frosting yellow and 150 grams frosting blue with food colors. Leave remaining frosting white.
- Using serrated knife, cut rounded dome from top of cake to make flat surface; place cake cut side down. Cut cake crosswise into thirds. Cut one of the thirds in half crosswise to make 2 squares. Place cake pieces on tray.
- To seal in crumbs, frost top and sides of 1 square cake with thin layer of blue frosting and 1 square cake with thin layer of white frosting. Frost 1 rectangular cake with thin layer of yellow frosting and 1 rectangular cake with thin layer of red frosting. Refrigerate or freeze 30 to 60 minutes to set frosting.
- Add final coat of frosting to each cake. Frost 4 marshmallow halves with blue frosting; place in square design on blue cake. Frost 4 marshmallow halves with white frosting; place in square design on white cake. Frost 8 marshmallow halves with yellow frosting; place on yellow cake. Frost 8 marshmallow halves with red frosting; place on red cake. Store loosely covered.