Pink almond party cake
Prep Time : 40 Minutes
Total Time : 2 Hours 20 Minutes
Servings : 12
Party time! Make a pretty pink cake with a kiss of almond flavor.
- 1 Box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ white cake mix, Water, vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix box
- 2 Teaspoons almond extract
- 6 Drops red food color
- 113 grams white chocolate chips, chopped
- 2 Teaspoons vegetable oil, Red food color
- ½ Cup butter or margarine, softened
- ¼ Cup shortening
- 1 Teaspoon almond extract
- 4 Cups powdered sugar
- 4 To 5 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 177°C (163°Cfor dark or nonstick pan). Spray bottom and sides of two22- or 20- cm round cake pans with baking spray with flour. In large bowl, beat cake ingredients on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pans.
- Bake and cool as directed on box for 23- or 20- cm rounds.
- Meanwhile, in small microwavable bowl, microwave candy coating uncovered on High 1 minute, stirring twice, until melted and smooth. Stir in 2 teaspoons oil. Spoon about half the melted coating into another bowl; stir in 2 or 3 drops food color to tint light pink.
- Line 170 grams custard cup or other small bowl with foil. Pour half of the untinted coating into foil-lined bowl. Drop half of the pink coating on top; pull a knife through coatings to make marbled design. Repeat with remaining untinted and tinted coatings, adding on top of marbled coatings. Refrigerate about 20 minutes or until set; remove from refrigerator. (If refrigerated longer, let stand at room temperature 10 minutes to soften.)
- In large bowl, beat butter, shortening, 1 teaspoon almond extract, the powdered sugar and 4 tablespoons of the milk with electric mixer on low speed until well blended. Beat on medium speed, adding enough of the remaining 1 tablespoon milk until fluffy and spreadable.
- Place 1 cake layer, rounded side down, on serving plate; frost top. Top with second layer, rounded side up. Frost side and top of cake.
- Remove coating from bowl; peel off foil. With vegetable peeler, make curls by pulling peeler around outside edge of block of coating. Place curls on top of cake. Store loosely covered.