Prep Time : 40 Minutes
Total Time : 3 Hours 30 Minutes
Servings : 14
Set sail on a journey to a delicious dessert with Betty Crocker® Yellow cake. Cut and frost an ordinary 13×9-inch cake into a dessert fit for a captain.
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® yellow cake mix
- Vegetable oil
- Eggs (called for on cake mix box)
- 2 containers Betty Crocker® Premium vanilla frosting
- Yellow or brown food color
- Tray or cardboard (50x45 cm), covered with wrapping paper and plastic food wrap or foil
- Red licorice candy (chewy tube-shaped candy found in confectionary stores)
- Ring-shaped hard candies and assorted candies for decorating
- Heat oven to 180°C (160°C for dark or nonstick pans). Grease bottom and sides of 33x23cm pan or spray with baking spray with flour. Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for 33x23cm pan. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Refrigerate or freeze cake about 1 hour or until firm.
- Cut cake as shown in diagram. Arrange pieces to form sailboat on tray. Tint 300 grams frosting with yellow or brown food color for hull. Spread a thin layer of white frosting over top and sides of sails, and a thin layer of tinted frosting over top and sides of hull, to seal in crumbs. Refrigerate or freeze cake 30 to 60 minutes to set frosting.
- Frost entire cake with remaining frosting. Cut licorice pieces to desired length for the mast; place near the edge of the longest sail. Use candy for portholes, or decorate as desired. Store loosely covered.