Spice Cake with Caramelized Apples
Prep Time : 40 Minutes
Total Time : 1 Hour 40 Minutes
Servings : 12
Enjoy this delicious spice cake made using with the best available all-purpose flour and topped with caramelized apples and whipped cream – perfect for a dessert.
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® French Vanilla cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 110 grams sour cream
- 1 medium finely chopped peeled apple
- 6 medium apples, peeled, sliced
- 220 grams brown sugar
- 250 ml heavy whipping cream
- Heat oven to 180°C. Spray bottom only of 23cm square pan with baking spray with flour.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil and eggs on low speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally (do not overbeat); stir in all spices, sour cream and chopped apple. Pour into pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and top is golden brown. Cool 10 minutes. Run knife around pan to loosen cake. Remove cake to heatproof serving plate. Cool cake about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, cook sliced apples and 1 cup brown sugar over medium-high heat 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until apples are tender and caramelized.
- In chilled large deep bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on low speed until cream begins to thicken. Gradually increase speed to high and beat just until soft peaks form. Spoon
- Caramelized Apples over cake. Top with dollops of whipped cream.