Chocolate Date Cake
Prep Time : 20 Minutes
Total Time : 3 Hours 30 Minutes
Servings : 12
A great snack cake to take to PTA meetings, potlucks and picnics. Or wrap up a piece for your briefcase or lunch box!
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs whites called for on cake mix box
- 310 ml boiling water
- 100 grams chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Chocolate Chip Topping
- 75 grams chocolate chips
- 70 grams chopped nuts
- 55 grams brown sugar
- 30 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- In large bowl, pour boiling water on dates. Stir in 1 teaspoon baking soda. Cool about 15 minutes or until lukewarm.
- In small bowl, mix all topping ingredients; set aside.
- Heat oven to 180°C. Stir all cake mix, water, vegetable oil and eggs whites called for on cake mix box into date mixture. Pour into ungreased 23cm square pan. Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about 2 hours.