Prep Time : 20 Minutes
Total Time : 4 Hours 5 Minutes
Servings : 12
For a special breakfast, whip up this beautiful, delicious coffee cake.
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® chocolate fudge cake mix
- Vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee powder
- 310 ml water
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon cool water
- 1 container Betty Crocker® milk chocolate frosting
- 235 grams frozen (thawed) whipped topping
- Chocolate-covered almonds
- Heat oven to 180°C (170°C for dark or nonstick pans). Grease two 20cm or 23cm round cake pans, or spray with baking spray with flour. Dissolve 1 tablespoon coffee in water. Make cake batter as directed on box, using coffee mixture in place of the water. Bake and cool as directed.
- Dissolve 2 teaspoons coffee in 1 tablespoon cool water. Stir 2 teaspoons of the coffee mixture into frosting. In medium bowl, stir together whipped topping and remaining coffee mixture; gently stir in 60 grams of the frosting mixture.
- On serving plate, place 1 cake layer, rounded side down. Spread with half of the whipped topping mixture to within ½ cm of edge. Top with second layer, rounded side up. Frost side and top of cake with frosting. Pipe remaining whipped topping mixture around top of cake. Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours or until chilled. Garnish top of cake with chocolate almonds. Store covered in refrigerator.