Deep Dark Coffee Cake
Prep Time : 50 Minutes
Total Time : 3 Hours 25 Minutes
Servings : 12
Looking for the ultimate chocolate cake? Indulge in a multilayered chocolate cake with homemade ganache.
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® dark chocolate cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- 75 grams granulated sugar
- 75 ml water
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso coffee
- 450 grams cream cheese, softened
- 125 grams powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 225 grams chocolate chips
- 90 grams butter (do not use margarine)
- 75 ml whipping cream
- Heat oven to 180°C (160°C for dark or nonstick pans). Grease and lightly flour two 20 or 23cm round cake pans, or spray with baking spray with flour. Make and cool cakes as directed on box for 23cm rounds. Refrigerate layers about 45 minutes for easier handling.
- Meanwhile, in 1-litersaucepan, stir granulated sugar and instant coffee until coffee is dissolved. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally; remove from heat. Cool completely.
- In medium bowl, beat filling ingredients with electric mixer on low speed just until blended, adding enough milk for spreading consistency; set aside.
- In 1-litersaucepan, heat ganache ingredients over low heat, stirring frequently, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Refrigerate about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened.
- Cut each cake layer horizontally to make 2 layers. (To cut, mark side of cake with toothpicks and cut with long, thin knife.). Fill each layer with about 150 grams of the filling. Spread ganache over side and top of torte. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.