Fig and Date Pavlova
Prep Time : 30 Minutes
Total Time : 3 Hours
Servings : 8
A stunning dessert for a special celebration! Make the meringue a day in advance then top with cream, fruit and syrup just before serving.
- 4 medium eggs
- 200g granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 15g pistachios, finely chopped
Rose Water Syrup
- 50g granulated sugar
- 125ml water
- 2 teaspoons rose water
- Pink food coloring, if desired
- 2 sachets (35g each) Betty Crocker™ Homestyle Whipping Cream Mix
- 230ml cold milk
- 6 small figs, halved
- 6 Medjool dates, halved, stoned and sliced
- Dried rose petals
- Baking sheet
- Baking parchment paper
- Electric mixer
- Large bowl
- Small pan
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Line baking sheet with baking parchment paper. Draw a 20cm circle on the paper; turn paper over.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Add 200g sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition, until meringue is firm and glossy.
- Mix together the corn starch, vinegar and vanilla extract in small bowl; fold into meringue.
- Spoon the meringue onto the lined baking sheet; spread to the just inside the marked circle. Spread out evenly making a slight dip in the center. Sprinkle the pistachios over the meringue.
- Place meringue in oven; immediately reduce oven temperature to 140°C. Bake 60 to 70 minutes or until firm and crisp. Turn off oven; leave meringue in oven with door slightly open for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the 50g sugar and water in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to medium high. Bring mixture to a boil. Cook, without stirring, 5 to 6 minutes until mixture thickens to a syrup. Remove from heat; cool completely. Stir in rose water and pink food coloring until desired color.
- Prepare whipping cream mix with milk according to package directions. Fold 1 1/2 tablespoons of the rose syrup into the whipped cream.
- Transfer the pavlova to a serving plate. Spoon whipping cream into center of pavlova; top with the figs and dates. Drizzle with remaining rose syrup. Serve immediately.
- If you bake the pavlova the night before serving, leave it to cool in the oven overnight.
- Add fresh pomegranate seeds or fresh raspberries for an extra fruity flavor and more color.