Almond and Rose Basbousa Style Cake
Prep Time : 25 Minutes
Total Time : 2 Hours 30 Minutes
Servings : 16
Almond and rose water combine perfectly in these light and fluffy Basbousa style cakes.
- 1 box (500g) Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ White Cake Mix
- 80ml vegetable oil
- 275ml water
- 3 egg whites
- 150g ground almonds
- 100g granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon rose water
- 1 sachet (35g) Betty Crocker™ Whipping Cream Mix
- 115ml Cold milk
- 16 blanched almonds, roasted
- 23cm square cake pan
- Electric mixer or whisk
- Large bowl
- Cooling rack
- Small pan
- Wooden spoon
- Medium bowl
- Decorating bag
- Star tip
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease 23cm square cake pan with butter; lightly sprinkle with flour.
- Beat cake mix, oil, 275ml water and egg whites in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed until moistened. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Fold in ground almonds with large spoon, then pour into pan.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan; remove to cooling rack positioned over plate.
- Heat sugar and 3 tablespoons water in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Heat to boiling; cook 2 minutes, then stir in rose water. Remove from heat.
- Pierce cake all over with toothpick, then slowly pour over or brush with sugar syrup. Cool completely on rack.
- Beat whipping cream mix and cold milk in medium bowl as directed on package. Spoon into decorating bag fitted with star tip.
- Cut cake into squares; top each serving with a roasted almond. Top with whipped cream.
- Rose water can be stronger or weaker in different products. Start with a little in the sugar syrup, then increase if you find you would like it stronger.
- Serve alongside some fruit of your choice.