Prep Time : 15 Minutes
Total Time : 1 Hour 55 Minutes
Servings : 15
Treat your guests with this classic hummingbird cake made using Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® cake mix, pineapple and banana—a perfect dessert for potluck party!
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® lemon cake mix
- 1 can (225 grams) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 1 jar (280 grams) preserved, sweetened cherries, well drained, finely chopped
- 2 medium very ripe bananas, mashed
- 120 ml vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
Homemade Vanilla Glaze
- 125 grams powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla or clear vanilla
(or) Easy Vanilla Glaze
- 110 grams Betty Crocker® vanilla frosting
- Heat oven to 180°C (170°C for dark or nonstick pan). Generously grease bottom only of 13x23cm pan with shortening; lightly flour or spray with baking spray with flour.
- Drain pineapple in colander set over a bowl, pushing pineapple against side and bottom of colander with back of spoon to squeeze out as much juice as possible; reserve juice. Drain chopped cherries on paper towels; pat dry.
- Add enough water, if necessary, to reserved pineapple juice to measure 75ml. In large bowl, beat cake mix, pineapple, bananas, oil, cinnamon, pineapple juice mixture and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 2 minutes. Stir in cherries. Pour into pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Run knife around side of pan to loosen cake. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- To make the Homemade Vanilla Glaze, in medium bowl, mix powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon milk and the vanilla. Stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until smooth and consistency of thick syrup.
- To make the Easy Vanilla Glaze, spoon frosting from container into microwavable bowl. Microwave uncovered on High about 15 seconds or until frosting can be stirred smooth and is thin enough to drizzle. (Or spoon frosting into 1-liter saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until thin enough to drizzle.)
- Spread glaze over top of cake. Store cake loosely covered at room temperature.