Warm Chocolate, Date and Walnut Cake
Prep Time : 30 Minutes
Total Time : 1 Hour 40 Minutes
Servings : 10
Chocolate, dates and walnuts combine to make a fabulous rich cake – perfect as a dessert served warm with caramel nut sauce and cream.
- 200g chopped dates
- 150ml boiling water
- 1 box (500g) Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ Dark Chocolate Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 80ml vegetable oil
- 275ml water
- 75g walnut pieces, chopped
- 1 sachet (35g) Betty Crocker™ Whipping Cream Mix
- 115ml cold milk
- 10 tablespoons caramel sauce, heated until warm
- 25g walnut pieces, chopped
- Heatproof bowl
- Blender or food processor
- 23cm round cake pan
- Baking parchment paper
- Large bowl
- Electric mixer or whisk
- Medium bowl
- Small bowl
- Place dates in heatproof bowl; pour boiling water over dates. Let stand 20 minutes. Transfer to blender or food processor; cover and process until pureed.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease 23cm round cake pan with butter. Lightly sprinkle with flour, then line base with baking parchment paper.
- Beat cake mix, eggs, oil and water in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed until moistened. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Fold in date puree and most of the 75g walnuts.
- Pour batter into pan; spread evenly. Sprinkle with remaining of the 75g walnuts.
- Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove to cooling rack. Cool slightly.
- Beat whipping cream mix and cold milk in medium bowl as directed on package. In small bowl, mix caramel sauce and 25g walnuts.
- Carefully cut warm cake into wedges. Spoon caramel sauce over each slice; serve with whipped cream.
- Look for caramel sauce in the supermarket, and simply heat for a few seconds in the microwave.
- Change the nuts if you like – try chopped pecans, macadamias or almonds.