Orange and Honey Drizzle Cake
Prep Time : 40 Minutes
Total Time : 2 Hours 40 Minutes
Servings : 15
This zesty cake will give your taste buds a flavourful zing.
- 1 box (500g) Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Vanilla Cake Mix
- 80ml vegetable oil
- 230ml water
- 2 medium eggs
- Zest of 1 orange
- 100g honey
- 3 tablespoons water
- 6 cardamom pods, lightly crushed, seeds removed and ground
- 1 teaspoon orange water
- 150g sugar
- 300ml water
- 2 oranges, thinly sliced
- 1 sachet (35g) Betty Crocker™ Whipping Cream Mix
- 115ml cold milk
- 20 x 30cm rectangular tin
- Baking parchment paper
- Electric mixer
- Large bowl
- 2 wire cooling racks
- Shallow baking pan
- Small pan
- Wooden spoon
- Medium pan
- Small bowl
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Grease 20 x 30cm rectangular cake pan with butter; sprinkle lightly with flour. Line bottom with baking parchment paper.
- Beat the cake mix, oil, water and eggs in a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed until moistened. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Fold in the orange zest. Pour into pan.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan to cooling rack.
- Heat honey and 3 tablespoons water in small saucepan over low heat. Cook 2 minutes; stir in the orange blossom water and ground cardamom. Remove from the heat. Pierce the cake all over with a fork or toothpick. Slowly pour honey mixture over top of warm cake, allowing it to soak into the cake. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar and 300ml water in a medium saucepan. Cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium high; bring mixture to a boil. Add orange slices; reduce heat to low. Cook 30 minutes or until orange slices are tender.
- Place wire cooling rack over shallow baking pan. Remove orange slices to wire rack; cool completely. Return sugar mixture to heat; simmer 5 to 8 minutes or until mixture has reduced and thickened.
- Beat whipping cream mix and cold milk in medium bowl as directed on package.
- Decorate the cake with the orange slices and drizzle over the reduced candied orange syrup. Serve with the whipped cream.
- Place the candied oranges onto the cake just before serving, otherwise they might make the cake a little soggy.
- Serve the excess syrup alongside the cake so guests can add as little or much as they want.